NCSL POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
JOB TITLE: Research Analyst 1
PROGRAM: Children and Families
SALARY: $3,527 p/month
Are you ready to join an organization with an extraordinary mission? The National Conference of State Legislatures offers careers where you can use your skills, knowledge and experience to truly make a difference. NCSL’s mission is purposeful – strengthening the legislative institution. From informing effective policies and promoting communication among state legislatures, to ensuring states have a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system, our team works in service of legislatures. And, with a commitment to constantly innovating all resources and services to meet the evolving needs of members, NCSL has earned the reputation as the nation’s most trusted bipartisan membership organization for legislators and legislative staff. Our success serving NCSL members relies on our team of passionate, dedicated professionals who work diligently to strengthen the legislative institution. Join our team and contribute to this unique, essential mission.
NCSL’s Denver-based Children and Families Program seeks an entry-level research analyst for its Children and Families program. This is a generalist position working across a variety of human services policy areas, including early care and education, child support and family law, housing and homelessness, household economic security and child welfare. This position will track, analyze and report on legislation, conduct policy research, respond to research requests, assist with planning and conducting meetings for legislators and legislative staff, monitor and report on current events, create and update web pages and other duties as assigned. This position requires independent work under the mentorship and direction of senior staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Collects, tracks, analyzes and summarizes information related to human services policies, programs and legislative activity.
- Researches and synthesizes information for articles, blog posts, reports, resource pages on NCSL.org and other communications.
- Prepares concise, accurate and politically neutral oral and written responses to research requests from legislators, legislative staff and others.
- Monitors and updates content on NCSL’s website.
- Supports planning and execution of virtual and in-person meetings.
- Provides data collection and writing support for grant proposals and reports.
- Actively participates in internal meetings.
- Engages with NCSL constituents as determined by supervisor.
- Other duties, as assigned.
No supervisory, coaching or mentoring expected.
This position is a mostly performed in an office environment with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. You will utilize standard office equipment such as filing cabinets, copy machines, laptops, printers, scanners, and smartphones. Travel by airplane including overnights and weekends required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Responsibilities, expectations, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR SUCCESS:
- Bachelor's degree plus one year of relevant work experience.
- A post-baccalaureate or graduate degree (i.e., master’s degree, professional degree or doctoral degree) may be substituted for one year of the required work experience.
- A demonstrated interest in state legislatures and/or human services policies or programs preferred.
- Must be willing and able to work in a politically neutral manner and maintain confidentiality when required.
- Must demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Must be competent in basic research and data collection.
- Must have above-average writing skills.
- Must be proficient using the Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with HTML web editors, online survey tools and data visualization software preferred.
- Proficiency operating webinar and video conferencing platforms a plus.
- Must be comfortable working on multiple tasks and topics simultaneously.
- Must be able to work in an office setting and remotely, as required or allowed.
- Must effectively manage time and responsibilities in a fast-paced professional environment.
- Must be able and willing to take direction from multiple people and appropriately receive and integrate feedback.
- Must be able to travel out of state by airplane 4-5 times per year, generally for 2-3 days.
- Must dress and present professionally when interacting with legislators, legislative staff, funders and partner organizations.
NCSL offers an outstanding benefits package including low-cost health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(a)-retirement plan with 10% employer contribution after 6 months and full vesting, life & disability insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation with 5+ years of paid full-time work experience, paid family leave, telework, pet insurance, discounted bus/train passes, in-office dry cleaning pick up, access to 24-hour Fitness memberships, and more! Relocation assistance provided for out-of-state candidates.
Interested candidates should apply online and include a cover letter and resume highlighting skills and qualifications no later than April 23, 2021 by 5pm MST.
NCSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing a diverse, dynamic team and inclusive workplace.