This is a limited term position for four (4) years. This date may be extended.
An IT Industrial Controls Engineer/Sr. Engineer provides advanced technical and engineering expertise in the analysis, design, development, commissioning, and support of industrial controls systems. Design, direct, coordinate, and support activities to provide data acquisition, monitoring, manual control and automated control of the processes required for operating the water systems. Develop, implement, and support industrial control hardware and software solutions to meet operational and business needs.
This position does not have formal supervisory responsibilities over other employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply technical and engineering expertise in the analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, support, and documentation of complex industrial control applications. Ensure industrial control systems are following applicable codes, standards, and organizational objectives
- . Define the data structure layout and data flow model determining the volume and type of data needed to provide specifications for hardware selection and software development of PLC programs and human machine interface (HMI).
- Select the physical communication media, network architecture, and protocols based on data requirements. Implement data transfer methodology that maximizes throughput and ensures data integrity using communication protocols and specifications to assure efficiency and reliability.
- Perform development of control system requirements. Ensure device and software integration and perform factory, operational readiness, and functional tests as required. Ensure change management procedures and methodologies are implemented and followed.
- Design test and commissioning plans to execute the appropriate testing required to verify functional and operational requirements of each process and controls system.
- Plan, design, and develop PLC programs and HMI schemas for large complex industrial controls projects. Direct the selection of the hardware components, the development of drawings and the installation of hardware and software.
- Reviews and approves control panel design and layouts, component and wiring schematics, and bills of material for industrial controls system solutions.
- Collaborate with vendors, internal customers, technology and engineering consultants, contractors, section managers, IT management, and colleagues to identify control system requirements, assess feasibility and impact to other applications and existing systems, consider available technologies and approaches, recommend solutions, and prioritize project tasks.
- Perform HMI and database configuration and tuning techniques to ensure software functions are customized to meet operational and business needs. Provide support, train operators and operations personnel in the use of the application developed and/or purchased.
- Resolve issues including scope, time, quality, and communication, and risk, coordination management to ensure that cross-functional and cross-divisional team members meet project Ensure the reliability and redundancy of the industrial control computer system. Monitor performance of computer hardware and systems software and recommend / implement configuration modifications.
- Enhance and maintain current software standards. Verify that PLC programs and HMI screens adhere to these standards. Review the control system software standards periodically and recommend improvements and changes.
- Provide 24/7 on-call support for the industrial controls system hardware and software. Troubleshoot controls system application problems and deploy solutions. May maintain and support off-site Disaster Recovery program. Understand various industrial control systems (ICS) and their purpose, application, function, and dependencies on network IP and industrial communications to effectively maintain, manage, operate, and secure the operational environment.
- Work with control network infrastructure design (network architecture concepts, including topology, protocols, and components) and their relation to IEC 62443 and the Purdue Model. Implement ICS operational and technical security controls; and adhering to organizational security policies and procedures. Maintain ICS baseline system security according to organizational policies. Prepare for and perform IT and/or ICS incident response as required.
- Perform related work as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Computer Science or a
related field required.
- Minimum 4 years of related work experience required. – Engineer level
- Minimum 6 years of related work experience required. – Sr. Engineer level
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Licenses, Registration, and Certifications
- Global Industrial Cyber Security Professional (GICSP), ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity Design/Maintenance/Expert Specialist preferred.
- Must be able to possess and maintain a valid Class ‘R’ Colorado driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
This Limited-term appointment is within the competitive service. Limited-term regular employees have the same rights and privileges and are subject to the same requirements under the Personnel Policies as regular employees. Limited-term appointments are used to fill positions for projects that are expected to take two or more years for completion, but which are clearly not continuing in nature and will terminate upon completion of the work. Denver Water also reserves the right to terminate the position if the Limited-term employee's role on the project is completed or it is determined that there is no longer a need for the position on the project.
Individuals who are selected for Limited-term employment with Denver Water will be appointed for a pre-determined period of time depending on project needs, but that period may be shortened or extended depending on project needs. A limited-term appointment will end when the employee's role on a project is completed or it is determined there is no longer a need for the limited-term position on the project.
The first six months of employment for a Limited-term employee is an introductory period. During this period, your employment can be terminated at any time, and are entitled to the same limited protection and procedures provided to introductory employees.
Pay Range $73,743-$112,011 Annually -Engineer
Hiring Range $110,140-$123,615 Annually Sr. Engineer
Pay Range $87,782-$136,974 Annually Sr. Engineer