DEPARTMENT OF TECHNOLOGY SERVICES (DOTS)
Traditional 235 work days
Salary Range: $63,852 - $77,316
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Applies engineering principles, techniques and scientific methods in a specific area of expertise (building, construction, technology, etc.). Responsible for solving technical problems and discovering new ways to improve the districts systems, infrastructures, processes and operations.
Develops and maintains software per business requirements with assistance from mid and senior level software developers. Develops technical design and technical and functional specifications, produces deliverables related to assigned project(s) and assists in post implementation support and system enhancement. Gathers, compiles and synthesizes information regarding technology processes or systems.
- Determine the most effective utilization of assets and services (capital, equipment, facilities, and systems) to maximize product and output. Improve efficiencies by planning, studying requirements, researching, and producing.
- Reviews business needs, defines problems or opportunities, examines materials (charts, blueprints, drawings, technical specifications, etc.), formulate ideas, and selects solution approach. Plans and conducts research, devises studies, and keeps abreast of industry changes, new developments and technologies through publications. Defines and considers key scoping variables, such as: costs, resources, time, limitations, economic factors, etc.
- Reviews specifications and evaluates effectiveness of cost, reliability and safety by in-depth analysis of work flow, utilization, causation, quality output, risks, and
- Ensures efficient implementation of solutions, systems, and processes according to functional specification. Produces final designs, builds and maintains new solutions, monitors upgrades and modifications.
- Provides ongoing opportunities to help improve daily work skills; educates new team members, hosts meetings, mentors, and allows showcase of strengths. Ensures compliance with district by implementing and enforcing standard practices and procedures.
- Maintains a close relationship and regularly discusses workload and deadlines with the team. Report status to team members and managers, including cost, scope, quality, time, performance, and output to create a positive team atmosphere and keep everyone informed.
- Develops software within architecture guidelines to meet the needs of business customers, learning and understanding the function for which the applications are designed.
- Specifies and implements code quality and development procedure best practices.
- Documents system issues and resolutions for future reference.
- Delivers high quality software applications and makes continuous improvements to systems.
- Serves as a technical expert, applying comprehensive technical skills to unique projects or production issues.
- Performs role of technical lead on small projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- Three (3) years minimum IT and business work experience in systems analysis and/or programming functions.
- Knowledge in object oriented programming, user interface development, database design and other development skills.
- Must be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines and plan, prioritize and organize project work, at times with interruptions.
- Ability to adapt to dynamic business goals and organizational change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with the ability to discuss issues at a technical or non-technical level, depending on the audience.
- Ability to promote and foster two-way communication and debate.
- Strong attention to detail and effective organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to read and interpret relevant manuals and information and to understand and troubleshoot a variety of programming techniques.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and occasionally deviate from established practices and procedures for new situations and problems.
- Ability to contribute to a positive and cohesive team environment and work effectively with staff at all levels, in all departments.
- Ability to work independently, make decisions and complete assignments.
- Technical experience and skills to quickly learn new systems and applications as well as a desire to learn new technologies and increase skillset through various mechanisms, such as online learning, peer-topeer knowledge transfer, etc.
- High degree of integrity in handling confidential information.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or an additional four (4) years of technical experience.
The mission of the DPS Department of Technology Services (DoTS) is to be a proactive partner enabling the success of every child. We support the students, families, and staff of Denver Public Schools by providing the infrastructure, tools, data, and support to enable effective educators and efficient operations. Our leading-edge technology work includes delivering custom portals for our students, parents, teachers, and administrators, managing one of the largest networks in the state of Colorado, providing unparalleled levels of customer support, finding new ways to get technology in the hands of our students, and much more. We believe that technology is a positive, enabling force for parent engagement, student engagement, educator effectiveness, operational efficiency, student safety, and student achievement. By joining us, you too will be enabling the success of every child!
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.