Job Summary: Under direct supervision from the Farm Program manager this position will work towards a holistic weed management plan for the agricultural operations at Chatfield Farms. Duties include manual weeding of vegetable and flower beds, using light machines that include walk-behind tillers, mowers, flame weeders, string trimmers, and OMRI approved herbicide. Pathways for public access in and around the market garden will also require regular maintenance primarily with hand tools. Knowledge and experience with small scale agriculture a plus but not a requirement. This position may also deal with integrated pest management on the farm.
Career Type: Seasonal, Part-time (May - October 2019)
Education/Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or minimum three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to read and understand instructions, simple diagrams and schematics. Must be able to read and understand labels. Must be able to mix chemicals and calibrate sprayers. Must have knowledge of machinery including mowers, trimmers, sprayers, hand tools and small engines). Previous experience identifying weeds and spraying herbicides plus the ability to learn and identify the noxious and other invasive plant species as well as desirable plants/crops around the farm is required.
Essential Job Duties:
- Performs assigned tacks including but not limited to identifying weeds, determining best practice to control, then hand pulling, spraying, or mowing the site.
- Performs scouting of CSA and Market Garden farm sites.
- Identify desirable plant species/crops and plan for preservation efforts when doing weed control.
- Operate various small machines and mowers in a safe manner.
- Maintain a log of OMRI approved herbicide information as to where it was sprayed, what species was controlled, and concentration of the chemical applied.
Other Job Duties:
- Maintains a positive and professional working relationship with managers, co-workers and others. Maintains a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members, visitors or others.
- Attends all meetings “on site” as required.
- Performs other duties or special projects as requested by management.