SERVICE BLDG, Northwest
Traditional 245 work days
Salary Range: $26.47 - $28.73 per hour depending on experience
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Supports operations through practical application of knowledge, use of proven techniques, and adherence to procedures. Primary focus on execution of assigned tasks in a specific area of responsibility, with a technical emphasis; such as; equipment, machinery, or scientific/chemical.
Installs, maintains, repairs gas fired heating equipment.
- Performs hands-on tasks applying proven industry standards and techniques, while adherence to policies, procedures, or guidelines in the area of responsibility. Installs, tests, analyzes, troubleshoots, repairs, maintains, related equipment in order to support short-term operations and minimize downtime.
- Performs hands-on tasks applying proven industry standards and techniques, while adherence to policies, procedures, or guidelines in the area of responsibility. Installs, tests, analyzes, troubleshoots, repairs, maintains, related equipment in order to support short-term operations and minimize downtime
- Receives, understands, and disseminates information in subject matter to appropriate stakeholders. Diagnoses problems and aids in resolving technical issues and escalates appropriately to ensure a positive experience.
- Contributes to identifying process inefficiencies and proposes solutions, identifies opportunities through external research on trends in resources, programs, and services and internal research with stakeholders, and supports improvement efforts in order to support long-term operations and minimize downtime.
- Prepares and cleans up job site (e.g., erecting scaffolding), taking into consideration safety concerns of self and others (e.g., students, employees), and disposes of waste and flammable materials.
- Assists with piping installation and fitting for heating and cooling systems.
- Calibrates and analyzes proper combustion readings, considering oxygen levels and CO2, CO and adjusting to safe and efficient standards. Checks and maintains combustion controls.
- Performs boiler replacements and repair according to State Building Code, and Denver public Schools Standards.
- Troubleshoots and identifies repairs and maintenance of gas fired heating equipment.
- Monitors, repairs, and performs maintenance on combustion controls.
- Reviews work orders, prioritizes, and determine supplies for repair and purchases supplies using District purchase order system.
- Works with and installs HVAC systems using various materials.
- Diagnoses repairs; modifies and performs repairs using blueprints and schematics; and considering building codes and standards.
- Responds to emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Assists with snow removal efforts on a 24 hour on-call basis.
- Performs other shop related work as work load requires.
- Bids on work requested by schools, and prepares cost estimates.
- Reviews specifications, identifying proper replacement systems, and considering safety operations, industry and district standards and most cost effective approach.
- Trains and mentors apprentice.
- Inspects work of independent contractors, identifies deficiencies, and communicates with project manager about correcting deficiencies according to code and DPS specifications.
Physical & Environmental Conditions:
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- Two (2) to ten (10) years of experience and training; minimum as follows: L1: Two (2) years related experience, L2: Four (4) years of experience, L3: Ten (10) years journeyman experience, including one (1) year internal experience; District specific training or equivalent required for all levels.
- Hold a valid journeyman Gas Service Certificate, Boiler Operators Class B Certificate or equivalent. Hold a valid Colorado State driver’s license and meet the District’s insurance requirements. Journeyman City Steam and Hot Water Certificate, preferred.
- The ability to take responsibility for one’s own performance.
- Effective communication skills.
- Effectively handle multiple demands and competing deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- High degree of integrity in handling confidential information.
- Ability to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment with district and school leaders, faculty, staff and students.
- Work collaboratively with others on a team.
- Aptitude for variety and changing expectations and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to pass the Respirator Fit Test requirement: Annually and upon hire either during a physical exam or be able to demonstrate the ability to wear a properly fitted respirator.
- Knowledge of trade related skills of pipefitting industry, specializing in the area of combustion HVAC equipment.
- Knowledge of basic building structural systems.
- Ability to coordinate with other shop staff to complete projects.
- Ability to work effectively with staff at all levels, in all departments.
- Ability to complete work according to specifications, with attention to detail.
- Ability to plan and organize work, at times with interruptions.
- Ability to problem solve and repair/construct items according to specifications.
- Ability to work independently, make decisions and complete assignments.
- Ability to work overtime hours as necessary and in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Ability to interpret and read blueprints and drawings.
- Ability to communicate in English, orally and in writing.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Thank you for your interest in the DPS Maintenance Department. We are looking for individuals that demonstrate and share our DPS Core Values of Integrity, Equity, Accountability, Collaboration, Fun, and putting Students First. Come join the DPS team and make an impact at a great organization! DPS has become the fastest-growing large school district in Colorado and is widely recognized today as one of the best urban school systems in the country. DPS is continually reforming and growing. All this growth has its challenges and we need your help. Maintenance employees have clearly defined promotional opportunities at all levels and our supervisors will help you work toward your career goals We need great people that want to help create a safe, welcoming environment that makes an impact on student learning. If you like problem solving and working with your hands, you may be a perfect fit!
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
Under the leadership of Superintendent Susana Cordova and guided by the tenets of The Denver Plan, DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.