FACILITY MANAGEMENT - GROUNDS
245 work days per year
Starting Salary: $20.21 - $21.23 per hour
Essential Functions and Objectives:
The L2 Irrigation Technician performs installation, repair and maintenance work on District irrigation systems. Essential functions of this position include:
- Receives work orders, reviews, prioritizes and develops plan for irrigation related issues and requests.
- Determines and acquires supplies from warehouse and local vendors, researching for supplies and diagrams.
- Prepares and cleans up job site taking into consideration safety concerns of self and others (e.g., students, employees).
- Installs and repairs irrigation systems (e.g., piping, fittings, control valves, control wiring, control boxes, sprinkler heads and irrigation clocks for replacement of existing, new or renovation).
- Instructs Operations staff about irrigation control and sprinkler head adjustments.
- Performs work and cross trains in other Grounds trades.
- Assists with snow removal efforts on a 24 hour on-call basis.
- Responds to emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Under direction of L3 (Master or Multi-Skilled), may assist or perform the following functions:
- Diagnoses malfunctioning irrigation clocks, zone valves and low voltage control wires.
- Trains and mentors staff
- Bids on work requested by schools, and prepares quote.
- Inspects work of independent contractors, identifies deficiencies, and communicates with project manager about correcting deficiencies according to code (e.g., city, state) and DPS specifications.
- Coordinates and collaborates with staff development to update training materials.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience
- District specific training or equivalent is required
- Ability to pass the Respirator Fit Test requirement: Annually and upon hire either during a physical exam or be able to demonstrate the ability to wear a properly fitted respirator
- Must have and maintain a valid Colorado Driver's License and meet District insurability standards
- High school diploma or equivalent
Thank you for your interest in the DPS Maintenance Department. We are looking for individuals that demonstrate and share our DPS Core Values of Integrity, Equity, Accountability, Collaboration, Fun, and putting Students First. Come join the DPS team and make an impact at a great organization! DPS has become the fastest-growing large school district in Colorado and is widely recognized today as one of the best urban school systems in the country. DPS is continually reforming and growing. All this growth has its challenges and we need your help. Maintenance employees have clearly defined promotional opportunities at all levels and our supervisors will help you work toward your career goals We need great people that want to help create a safe, welcoming environment that makes an impact on student learning. If you like problem solving and working with your hands, you may be a perfect fit!
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
Under the leadership of Superintendent Susana Cordova and guided by the tenets of The Denver Plan, DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.