Job Summary: This position teaches or supports Denver Botanic Gardens education programs at Plains Conservation Center in Aurora and other locations. Programs include but are not limited, school field trips, adult education classes, guided tours for all ages, overnight programming, and special events. Plains Program Instructors deliver both environmental and cultural content following established curriculum. Additional responsibilities include coordination of program logistics, material maintenance and accurate record keeping.
Career Type: On-call
Qualifications/Experience: Prior knowledge and previous experience is required, including at least one years’ related experience, training or education, and at least three months experience teaching and managing a group of students (preK-12) in a formal or informal environment, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Experience taking students on field trips and experience teaching outdoors is strongly preferred. Flexibility in changing circumstances and high energy required. Must be capable of moving and communicating for a long period of time. Must be able of working independently and in a team environment. Must be available flexible hours during the work week and weekend. Must currently possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Colorado driver’s license, plus an acceptable driving record. Familiarity with Microsoft Windows based systems and the Microsoft office based software (Word, Excel, Outlook, and scheduling software). Fluent Spanish skills desirable.
Essential Job Duties:
- Prepare and deliver assigned programs, including but not limited to onsite guided tours, school field trips, scout programs, events, adult education classes, and offsite outreach.
- Greet arriving students and touch base with teachers and chaperones regarding planned activities.
- Lead groups of students through program activities, following established curriculum.
- Prepare materials and equipment for assigned programs.
- Work in cooperation with City of Aurora staff to ensure program success. Follow established partnership protocols.
- Travel to program locations in the Denver metro area to deliver programs.
- Keep accurate records of attendance, programs, confirmations or other matters as needed.
- Maintain a safe environment for visitors or participants and address first aid issues.
Other Job Duties:
- Develop or update programs or program curricula as assigned.
- Supervise students eating lunch or taking a break as needed.
- Assist with coordinating materials, programs, volunteers and schedules.
- Assist with other Denver Botanic Gardens programs as needed.
- Work to assure the highest quality experience for all Denver Botanic Gardens visitors.
- Maintain satisfactory working relationships with managers, co-workers and others.
- Maintain a positive, helpful and solution-oriented demeanor when responding to or serving members and visitors.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.