Community College of Aurora
Salary: $18.00 Hourly
Job Type: Part-time
Job Number: 00013
Location: 16000 East CentreTech Parkway, CO
Department: Academic Affairs
The TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Traditional and English as a Second Language programs are hiring one part-time professional tutor for Math.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
The Professional Math Tutor for the TRIO Student Support Services program will assist in supplemental instruction for up to 300 first-generation students, low-income students, and students with a disability who participate in one of the two TRIO SSS programs. Professional Math Tutors assist students to achieve academic success in current and future coursework. The Professional Math Tutor will assist TRIO SSS and TRIO SSS-ESL staff to promote retention and persistence of the participants by assisting students with overcoming obstacles in education and increasing confidence, skills, and ability in content areas. When necessary, the Professional Math Tutor will complete learning styles inventories for students to understand how their learning style impacts their studies and coursework.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
Knowledge and Skills Required:
Ability to provide personalized attention in the areas of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. Uses critical thinking across mathematics, use of graphing calculators, and other critical areas. Mathematics tutors may also assist students with elements of science courses when the course content includes mathematical equations. Must be able to provide instruction from first level of developmental mathematics education through at least Calculus 1.
• Bachelor's degree required in field related to tutoring-specific content area
• Two (2) years of tutoring or teaching experience in area of subject competency
• Professional or personal experiences in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting program participants
• Ability to effectively tutor participants and track academic course progress
• Ability to document all contacts and services provided to students in TRIO SSS and TRIO SSS-ESL
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Fluent in English in writing, speaking, and reading
• Formal training and/or work experience in programming that improves the academic good-standing rates of participants
• Experience working with a TRIO program or similar program
• Competency in Statistics
• Anticipated salary is $18.00/hr. on a part-time basis.
• This is a grant-funded position. Current grant cycle ends on August 31st, 2020.
• All school-observed holidays off including Thanksgiving (fall break), Spring Break and all breaks between semesters. Summer semester is anticipated on a reduced schedule.
• Work schedule of up to 8 hours per week depending on need and student schedules.
• Must be available during Monday through Friday normal business hours (8am-5pm) with occasional evening and weekend availability.
• Anticipated start date of January 18th, 2020.
• Resume and Cover letter addressing the position and answering the following questions in the cover letter:
• Your philosophy on the role of the tutor as it compares to the role of a teacher/professor.
• Your philosophy and experience on working with first generation college students and students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.
• How your personal background can aid you in working with this underrepresented population.
• Copies of transcripts for all colleges and universities attended (unofficial copies are acceptable).
• Submit all application information to India Bonner, TRIO SSS-ESL Project Coordinator, mailto:email@example.com and Emma Mooso, TRIO SSS Project Coordinator, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2095604
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.