35513 - SPECIALIST, STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS
235 work days
Salary Range: $58,192-$70,513
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Administers and manages activities within a specific area of a responsibility. Serves as the subject matter expert and applies gained knowledge to execute, maintain and improve systems, programs, or processes.
This role works to ensure that students, educators, families, community partners and internal audiences understand and engage in the process of achieving the goals of the district's strategic plan. The ideal candidate is adept at synthesizing complex information and crafting narrative content that resonates with a community audience via a range of communications methods, including social media, video, web articles, media pitches and more.
As a values-based organization, achieve goals through our shared commitment to Students First, Integrity, Equity, Collaboration, Accountability and Fun.
- Provides various support and conducts activities related to logistics, reporting, training, communications, and processes. Participates in the planning and implementation of new initiative.
- Assesses and troubleshoots escalated problems and applies expert understanding to resolve complex challenges of stakeholders; focuses on root cause identification in order to achieve systemic and sustainable improvement. Approves and documents exceptions for compliance record keeping and reporting.
- Ensures appropriate key stakeholder involvement in planning, goal-setting, and implementation to achieve buy-in of work products. Ensures purposeful, positive and professional interactions and relationships with all stakeholders; enables consistent application of work products across the district.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement, prioritizes, and recommends solutions to management. Implements approved enhancements to ensure consistency across the district. identifies opportunities to reduce costs; analyzes available data, trends, and feedback, and ensures compliance with expectations for optimal operation and goal achievement.
- Works closely with the Senior Manager of Strategic Communications and other members of the Communications team to develop, support and execute timely, thorough and clear strategic communications plans that engage all critical stakeholders and champion community support for our public schools.
- Builds collaborative, cross-functional team relationships to establish communication strategies and ensure a consistent message for targeted internal and external audiences.
- Assists with production of communications materials, including writing, formatting, designing, editing and proofreading newsletters, web and social media content, media and public relations materials, print collateral and promotional materials, FAQs, etc.
- Supports media relations efforts, including writing engaging news releases, official statements and letters to the editor, prepares and holds press conferences and public relations events, and responds to media inquiries.
- Manages the review and approval process with key stakeholders before releasing communications materials. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- 5+ work related experience (Communications, journalism, education, government, public agency, etc.).
- Knowledge with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Effectively handle multiple demands and competing deadlines.
- The ability to take responsibility for one’s own performance.
- Work collaboratively with others on a team.
- Aptitude for variety and changing expectations and fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional writing, proofreading and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to translate complex subjects into engaging stories for diverse audiences preferred.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and a demonstrated ability to foster collaborative relationships across a variety of teams and stakeholders preferred.
- Experience with project management, web content management, Adobe design software, Google Drive/G-Suite and social media management tools preferred.
- Bachelors Degree
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
Under the leadership of Superintendent Susana Cordova and guided by the tenets of The Denver Plan, DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.